Saturday, July 11, 2009

What's in a name?


Every time we tell someone Ryland's name, they always ask where it came from. Ryland is my brother Jesse's middle name. Yes, Ryland has an Uncle Jesse, not to be confused with Uncle Jesse played by John Stamos on Full House :). My dad, who absolutely LOVES music got this name from a guitarist named Ryland Cooder, who I've learned actually attended Reed College in Portland, OR for a little while. Upon doing some research, I've learned that this musician became known after playing with Captain Beefheart (a musician that my dad loves, and who I think is kind of crazy, haha...sorry dad). I grew up listening to Beefheart's music, and it definitely brought some laughs in the family! I am sure Ryland will also grow up with his music. Ryland Cooder was number 8 in the Rolling Stone's "the 100 greatest guitarists of all time". So, maybe Ryland is destined to become a guitar player! Especially knowing that her middle name Paisley (suggested to us from my best friend Shannon) also came from a guitarist and musician named Brad Paisley.


Ryland
Meaning: from the Rye Land
Origin: English

Paisley
Meaning: The name of a patterned fabric that was at one time the principal product manufactured in Paisley, Scotland.
Origin: Scottish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails